Having kids changes a woman's body, and things don't always go back to the way they were before. A skilled cosmetic surgeon can help address the effects of childbearing, restoring a woman's pre-baby shape or even improving upon it through personalized procedures for the breasts and body
What is a Mommy Makeover?
A Mommy Makeover is a customized combination of plastic surgery procedures, designed to help restore your pre-baby body after dramatic changes brought on by pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding.The goal of a Mommy Makeover is to restore the shape and appearance of a woman's body after childbearing. Many women notice changes in their bodies post-pregnancy. There are many areas of the body that can be addressed, most commonly the breasts, abdomen, waist, genitalia and buttocks.
A Mommy Makeover is typically performed as a single-stage procedure. There are many techniques used to perform a Mommy Makeover, and many factors should be taken into consideration when choosing which techniques are best:
- Desired amount of restoration
- Placement of the incisions
- Type of implant used
Mommy Makeover: it’s the cutesy term for a serious package of surgical procedures aimed at returning a woman’s body to its pre-pregnancy state (one could easily argue the term is pretty problematic, too). And, fair warning, uttering the phrase repeatedly while interviewing the smartest aesthetic minds in the country will absolutely make you feel like a puerile twit.
What’s included in a Mommy Makeover?
One of the biggest benefits of a mommy makeover is that it combines several procedures in a single surgical session. Surgeons customize their treatment plans to fit each patient's unique needs, but typically involves these surgical procedures:
- A Tummy Tuck, sometimes paired with diastasis recti repair, to tighten the belly and repair separated muscles. This may also involve a belly button lift.
- Breast Augmentation, with or without Breast Lift surgery, to raise sagging breasts or replace lost fullness. (Some women choose to have Breast Reduction instead, to remove excess skin.)
And may also include one or more of these:
- Liposuction to remove excess fat deposits and recontour the body. This fat can be transferred to the buttocks, for a Brazilian Butt Lift for volume and contour, or into the hips to create an hourglass shape.
- A Perineoplasty to tighten the vaginal entrance, a Vaginoplasty to tighten and repair the floor of the vagina, and/or a Labiaplasty to improve the appearance of the labia minora.
- Laser Skin Rejuvenation Treatments or injectables like Dermal Fillers, to smooth wrinkles, fill in under-eye circles, and refresh the face.
Given the range of procedures available, this is one procedure where it really pays to have more than one consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns, learn which procedures they'd recommend, and get a detailed cost estimate.
Recovering from a Mommy Makeover
Each individual procedure in a Mommy Makeover has its own recovery period. The recovery time will depend on the types of procedures chosen, but Mommy Makeover patients can typically expect around two weeks of healing time at home. Patients should also be ready to deal with some swelling for several weeks, and it will take some time before the full results are revealed.
It may be necessary to wear compression garments around the breasts and stomach to reduce swelling and discomfort while holding the skin and tissues in the correct position to optimize Mommy Makeover results. You’ll be given instructions on caring for incision sites, any concerns to look out for, and how to take medications. For around four to six weeks, any vigorous exercise or contact sport that involves heavy lifting, running, and twisting is discouraged.
Mommy Makeover Costs
It ranges in price depending on where you go and the body areas being treated. For more information, please contact us.